Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Manager's Trot

I’m not sure how it started. You’ve seen it many times. A baseball manager calls timeout, ascends the steps in the dugout and then makes his way to the pitcher’s mound or home plate or somewhere. Calling it a run is the better part of generous. A run it isn’t. But, in fairness, it isn’t a walk either. The arms are bent and move in a cow-milking manner with vigor and the shoulders are engaged in a Larry King sort of way. There is a slight bounce. But there isn’t any speed. Usually a sunflower seed falls out of the guy’s mouth. And I think one foot is on the ground at all times. I guess the beauty is the manager really isn’t hustling, but he looks like he is. He gives the appearance that he has a sense of purpose and, after all, baseball is a sport. It stands to reason that running (or fake running) would be the main mode of transportation among players and coaches.

I find myself employing the manager’s trot from time to time. I usually break it out in a crosswalk. A motorist has given me the “hurry up, Jack” wave and out of courtesy I pick up the pace – sort of. I would feel awkward continuing to walk at my leisurely clip, but I don’t feel like sprinting. And if I ran I would probably pull a hammy. So I do want any rational person would, I pretend like I’m running. I’m basically saying, “Hey, thanks for not hitting me with your car. And as a thank you, I will pass by your vehicle 1 second faster than I normally would. This, my friend, is the least I can do. Have a good day.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

At first, I have to admit, I was a little skeptical of visiting any web page titled "Dave's Bits". Gotta tell ya buddy, I didn't have any desire to see your bits... no further comments on that subject.

I concur on the Manager's trot. I've seen it many a-time in "real life" as well. What if they took on more of an Olympic speed walking form? Wouldn't that liven up the baseball lull?

If you need more fodder for blogs, baseball is chock full of ideas - the first pitch (don't you think these people that get this "honor" would try a bit harder?), the pre-pitch routine batter's take, or for that matter, the pitcher's wind-up... Really, a wind up? One of these days someone is gonna throw in a full twist...

Michael Hoff said...

I employ the Manager's Trot to give my wife the impression that I take that "thump" upstairs as seriously as she does, and I must check on my children as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, I know they're not hurt seriously, and if they're hurt at all, they deserve it for doing something stupid. I could explain that all to her, but it's easier just to feign concern and trot off at nowhere-approaching-full-speed.