Monday, July 20, 2009

Going Left


I often think about getting back to playing some serious tennis. I played competitively in high school and now hit here and there, but watching Rodger win his 15th at Wimbledon a few weeks back gave me some inspiration. I think the nearly 20-year layoff will have taken something off of my game, but I believe I would be mentally tougher, if not wiser.

Then I think that it would be interesting to start playing lefty, as my dominate hand (and arm) is right. The logic is that I would have the knowledge of the game, how to strike the ball and most importantly what my right-handed flaws are providing a platform to create a better version of me. A lefty version. This time I reason, I would be unencumbered by old, bad habits and the inertia of doing it the way I always have. I’m sure it would be comical to start. Muscle memory has that affect on us. But, with courage and tenacity I think I could get pretty good and someday revel in a slice serve to the ad court against a righty opponent.

I don’t know if I will actually do this, although the thought intrigues me quite a bit. In actuality I am doing this now as this is what is happening in our business of communications. We are playing with the opposite hand. We are not starting over. No, connecting with consumers is still the game and much of the knowledge that we have still fits. But now, we have the opportunity to create a better version of what we do. We are learning and need to continue to learn new and better ways to create conversations with consumers, create meaningful dialogue and create a differentiated place in their hearts for our clients. Yes, it takes tenacity and courage but the payoff will be well worth it.

No comments: