Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Dishwasher Speaks

What I find fascinating are the little, everyday talents that many possess. Some people are excellent parallel parkers. While I am the “cook” of the family, my wife makes great eggs. Some people can pull a parking ticket from a garage without coming to a complete stop. My everyday talent is packing dishes into the dishwasher. It’s my version of the NYT crossword puzzle. I enjoy doing it and receive much from the experience.
In fact, I believe there are many life lessons to be learned at the mouth of a dishwasher. Here are three I have received over the years:
Big things first. This one is crucial. To maximize the space in the dishwasher the largest items must be placed first. No way around it. Sure, sometimes I want to keep my favorite mug in its spot, but I can’t. Getting the big things out of the way allows for a clearer picture and subsequent plan to accomplish the goal.
Sweat the Small Things. Concentrating first on the big things isn’t a slap to the smaller things. More of life is lived in and with the smaller things. When it comes to packing a dishwasher you have to focus on the smaller items and work and re-work until they find their niche.
Fear. It’s been said that fear shouldn’t be a motivator. It depends. Making decisions out of fear typically leads to mediocrity. But, the fear of failure is healthy. I have a healthy fear of washing dishes by hand. And I will stay with it until I get everything in its place.

No comments: