Friday, July 6, 2007

Former Stand-up Comedian - Chris Rock story

Being a comedian was always a life-long dream so it was cool to perform professionally (and often) in and around Pittsburgh. I was the house emcee at The Funny Bone from 1995 - 1997. It was good to have a home base like that, while performing at other clubs and colleges whenever possible.

As a comedian I met a few celebrities including: Howie Mandel, Drew Carey and Ray Romano. The biggest names I ever worked with personally were Lewis Black and Chris Rock.

I did two nights with Chris Rock in 1996 at The Funny Bone in Pittsburgh. It was a trip working six sold-out shows with him. He’s extremely funny and very cool. We had a conversation that is worth repeating:

Chris: Where do you live?
Me: I live with my parents, north of Pittsburgh.
Chris: How old are you?
Me: 24.
Chris: 24?! And you’re still living at home?
Me: Yeah.
Chris: Do you have a girlfriend?
Me: No.
Chris: Of course not. That’s because you live at home. Let me tell you something: you can’t get a girl with no pad. You can get a girl with no car. You can get a girl with no job. But, you CAN NOT get a girl with no pad.

When he was telling me that all I could think about was how hysterical it was and that I couldn’t wait to tell my friends.

No comments: